We hope your treatment was everything you were expecting and more. Thank you for putting your trust in us and congratulations on embarking on your skin-health journey! We feel we should warn you to prepare to have your mind-blown because it’s all skin-greatness from here people.
There are just a few things we wanted to make you aware of, post-treatment, that might initially cause some alarm but are actually nothing to worry about. With great treatments come great responsibility – and a few side effects – so anything you might be experiencing right now is all part of our plan to wow you in the long run. We’ve also set out a few after-care pointers for the weeks following your treatment too so that you can get the best out of our magic touch. First though, have a read of some typical post-treatment reactions and we give it about 30 seconds before you feel more relaxed.
Your skin feels...different
Ah yes, that warm, tight, slightly sun burnt feeling. Sound familiar? No, your face is not about to combust, it’s just what happens after a non-invasive micro-needling procedure and is completely bog standard, normal, nothing-to-see-here behaviour. These sensations occur thanks to the active micro puncture of the skin’s top layer and should ease within a few hours.
You’re looking flushed
To be frank, we’d be confused if you weren’t! For the first 24-48 hours post-treatment, active processes are working their magic behind the scenes, beneath the skin so yes, looking a bit red in the face is almost guaranteed. Don’t fret if your skin feels a bit dry and tight too, it’s just business as usual. Mild swelling and redness may occur which typically goes away within 2 to 24 hours.
Your skin’s flaky
This is very common 3-4 days after microneedling so you can relax. It might last a few days but just think – a new generation of beautiful, tip top skin is being pushed through faster than usual and the results are going to be game-changing. Just you wait - dry, flaky skin for a few days is a small price to pay for replenished, incredible skin in the long run. * Drops mic *
You’re experiencing micro-peeling
On around days 3 and 4 post-peel, this is very common and by day 7 your skin will have returned to normal. Resist the urge to scratch, pick or pull at the treated skin – we know, we know, it’s ridiculously tempting. But if you leave it well alone, you’ll reap the rewards of your treatment much quicker.
10 pointers for staying beautiful, post-treatment
- Take it easy: Hey you! Yes, you. Be kind to your skin, especially in the first 72 hours post-treatment. Whilst in the long run your skin is being pampered, today it’s been through a lot. Rethink your skincare regime 3 days prior and post-treatment and stay clear of alcohol-based toners, AHA/BHA exfoliants, vitamin A products (like Retinol), scrubs, skin lightening creams and hydrogen peroxide. It could do without excessive heat too so cool down the temperature in-shower and avoid things like saunas and long soaks in the bath or hot tub for 72 hours after your appointment.
- Peachy clean: Try to avoid touching your face for 8 hours, unless it’s to apply Skinfuse Rescure to calm and soothe your skin during the first 24 hours whenever you need it. Other than that though, it’s strictly no touching allowed to stop bacteria getting in and undoing all of your therapist’s hard work. Treat yourself to some clean bed linen before you go to sleep too.
- Be reddy: That redness and/or swelling you’re seeing is totally normal and no, you shouldn’t panic. It will go within 1-2 days.
- Protect to perfect: For at least 2 weeks post-treatment, SPF is your ride or die. Apply it every 2 hours, daily, and avoid sun exposure 14-21 days prior and post-procedure. We promise we’re not boring – hey, you should see us at the team quiz night - but when it comes to your skin vs the sun, we’re militant.
- Heal, boy: One word: hydration. Make sure you apply a moisturising product every day for at least one week to encourage your skin to stay hydrated to encourage your skin to repair and heal.
- Keep it light: If you’re a makeup junkie, we see you, but avoid heavy coverage and perfumed products for 24 hours. Light mineral makeup is perfectly ok to apply with a clean brush straight after your treatment though. Commuting home completely makeup-free? We know it’s not for everybody.
- Step away from the wax: We strongly advise against hair removal 3 days before and one week after your treatment. It’s just good sense kids.
- Treatment queen: We’re talking to you! Don’t book another facial, regenerative or invasive treatments like peels, laser, IPL, resurfacing, RF, filler and botox for at least a week – promise? We’ll be checking. (Ok, we won’t, but please trust in us.)
- Gym bunnies: We love nothing more than a workout either but take a break from strenuous exercise for 24 hours to limit sweating. It’s guilt-free and this one’s on us.
- Don’t forget to flush: No not that. We mean the toxins released from the treatment. How? By staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water.