We really hope your treatment was exactly what you were hoping for and that your skin dreams are already starting to come true! It should be feeling happily hydrated, beautifully plump and oh-so clear by now. But please don’t thank us. Mind-blowing skin is just our bag.
Now that you’ve been #blessed with the Salon C. Stellar magic touch, we wanted to let you know about a few things, just to put your mind at ease. A ‘what to expect when you’re recovering’ kind of vibe, as well as a few tips on how to care for your skin going forward. Read on for some possible side effects that - we promise - seem more daunting than they actually are.
If you’re experiencing this, it’s most likely down to any extractions performed during your treatment. But please don’t panic! This is totally normal and it should ease within 24 hours. Noticing physical effects like this can actually be surprisingly satisfying as it helps you see that the treatment is working hard at getting your skin back to its beautiful best. And don’t worry if those areas become a bit flaky too – we’ve got you. They too will resolve in a few days.
Flaky skin might also occur 2-3 days post-treatment if you’ve had a chemical peel. Well, the clue is kind of in the name. Again, this is nothing to worry about and it should go within a few days. Your reward will come in 5-7 days time in the form of beautifully refreshed skin! Do try to cut it some slack by not picking, pulling or fiddling with the treated skin though. Just stay on top of your moisturising routine and remember, this all means the treatment is working. Peely skin for the win! (We’re poets and didn’t know it!)
Noticed a few unwelcome arrivals post-facial? We promise your skin type hasn’t just had a change of heart - these little blips are only temporary. Congested skin and minor breakouts are quite common at this point in the process and are only happening because your skin is enjoying a lovely little detox. So, as it rids itself of toxins and impurities, of course there are going to be a few pesky visitors along the way. We’ll take that for clearer, luminous skin in the end! And yes, we know the temptation struggle is real but we beg you not to touch or pick at them. Patience is a clear-skin virtue.
11 pointers for staying beautiful, post-treatment:
- Take it easy: Hey you! Yes, you. Be kind to your skin, especially in the first 72 hours post-treatment. Whilst in the long run your skin is being pampered, today it’s been through a lot. Rethink your skincare regime for the next few days and stay clear of alcohol-based toners, AHA/BHA exfoliants, vitamin A products (like Retinol), scrubs, skin lightening creams and hydrogen peroxide. It could do without excessive heat too so cool down the temperature in-shower and avoid things like saunas and long soaks in the bath or hot tub.
- Peachy Clean: Thanks to some magic exfoliation during your treatment, your skin will be extra privy to whatever’s thrown at it. So, try not to touch your face for 8 hours in order to avoid bacteria getting in and undoing all of your therapist’s hard work. Treat yourself to some clean bed linen before you go to sleep too.
- Protect to perfect: For at least 2 weeks post-treatment, SPF is your ride or die. Apply it every 2 hours, daily, and keep out of direct sunlight for the first 72 hours. We promise we’re not boring – hey, you should see us at the team quiz night - but when it comes to your skin vs the sun, we’re militant.
- Heal, boy: One word: hydration. Make sure you apply a moisturising product every day to encourage your skin to repair and heal.
- Keep it light: If you’re a makeup junkie, we see you, but avoid heavy coverage and perfumed products for 24 hours. Light mineral makeup is perfectly ok to apply straight after your treatment though. Commuting home completely makeup-free? We know it’s not for everybody.
- Facial queens: We’re talking to you! Don’t book one for at least a week – promise? We’ll be checking. (Ok, we won’t, but please trust in us.)
- Gym bunnies: We love nothing more than a workout either but take a break from strenuous exercise for 24 hours to limit sweating. It’s guilt-free and it’s on us.
- Drinky poos: Or maybe not just yet. Say no to excessive alcohol. Your post-treatment skin will thank you.
- Step away from the wax: We strongly advise against hair removal 3 days before and one week after a peel. It’s just good sense kids.
- Tan tips: The last thing you want is your faux glow peeling off. Patchy tan anyone? It’s best to save self-tanning until after the post-treatment flaky skin phase.